Do you want to make sure you are not perpetuating slavery as a consumer? Sign up to receive email alerts from Free2Work app for iphones and droids:
Five ways to get involved:
- Advocate for legislation. Visit Polaris Project’s Action Center (www.ActionCenter.PolarisProject.org) to find out about local legislation in your state and what you can do to help make sure there are strong human trafficking laws.
- Start a book club. Pick up books about human trafficking then meet and discuss the book, the issue, and the ways that your group can help fight human trafficking in your area and in the country. Good books on this topic include: The Girl Who Played with Fire, Half the Sky, The Johns, Children in the Game, and a Sacred Bath. To find a list of other books visit:http://actioncenter.polarisproject.org/resources/books.
- Fundraising dinner. Instead of going out to restaurants, host potluck dinners with your friends, family, neighbors, and peers. It will give you an opportunity to spread the word about human trafficking as well as spend time with friends and meet new people. On the invitations you can include a human trafficking NGO along with a “suggested donation.” Or, if you make the dinner yourself you can charge per person and the proceeds can be donated to a human trafficking NGO of your choosing!
- Sign up for the Polaris Project Grassroots Network. Join Polaris Project in taking steps towards ending modern-day slavery. We’ll send you updates about human trafficking and new opportunities for you to make a direct impact on the lives of human trafficking victims. To sign up please visit: http://actioncenter.polarisproject.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=142&Itemid=82.
- Plan a movie night. Whether a screening is hosted at your house or at an actual theater, movies are a great way to spread the word and educate others about human trafficking. Great movies about human trafficking include: Very Young Girls, Call + Response, and Holly. Remember that many of these movies are graphic so keep in mind the viewers that you plan to invite. You can also host the movie night at a larger location (you’ll need a projector) so that you can invite more people. Or if you really want to go big, contact your local movie theater to see how you can plan a movie night for charity where the proceeds would go to an organization in your area. For more information visit here http://www.fundraiserinsight.org/articles/movie-night-fundraiser.html. For a list of movies visithttp://actioncenter.polarisproject.org/resources/movies-and-films
Ways to get involved:
- Adopt a liberator: https://www.freetheslaves.net/SSLPage.aspx?pid=394
- Become a Member of Free The Slaves: https://www.freetheslaves.net/SSLPage.aspx?pid=361
- Educate yourself: http://www.freetheslaves.net/Page.aspx?pid=299
- Volunteer/Intern: http://www.freetheslaves.net/Page.aspx?pid=308
- Donate: https://www.freetheslaves.net/SSLPage.aspx?pid=184
Please visit FAIR Fund’s website for more information on how you can make an impact.
Join the New Underground Railroad, the world’s largest database of volunteers, professionals, and service providers fighting human trafficking.